Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Who's Driving?

When Harold was diagnosed with brain tumors he lost his license to drive. It wasn’t physically taken away but his neurologist firmly told him there was a real danger he would have a seizure and might hurt himself or someone else. So I’ve been the driver these last two weeks. Harold’s graciously accepted my chauffeuring and we seem to make a good team.

Last night he needed to get something from the store and offered (with a grin) to go himself, if I didn't feel like going out. Well I didn’t feel like going out. It was snowing! And honestly Harold is doing so well . . . .

There is a marked improvement in his clarity of speech and thought. He looks and feels good. It would be easy to believe we are back to normal. But we’re not . . .  

I decided to drive. We'll wait for the official OK.

When you choose faith, you choose in effect to give up the driver’s seat.  And that’s not bad. Once you realize who’s driving, there’s a quiet, comforting peace.

Our Savior Jesus Christ took on all the grief and sorrow of the world. He marked the path and he leads the way. He’s the driver here. He has the power to heal if that’s His will. He has the power to comfort, strengthen, and bless if it’s not.

That sounds like a Sunday school lesson—the words we’re use to hearing especially this time of year. But these words are true. I feel them to my core. I’ve wrestled mightily to know their verity. They are true.

So we’ve embarked on the ride of our lives. It will take all of our strength and our faith. We are fighting to keep Harold around. But if not . . . we know who’s driving.

6 comments:

  1. On the "lite" side that is a cute idea. On a serious side- you are amazing and what a great lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of your family a lot during Pres Eyring's talk on Faith. Your thoughts here are such a perfect thought as we think of Christ and celebrate Easter. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for help with my Sunday School lessons... I already referred to your family when our lesson was on prayer. Sunday it's on Fasting and I'll likely utilize your family's experience again to help teach the lesson... My faith and prayers (and MANY others) are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, you write so well. Wishing you both a truly Happy Easter. Whether we like it or not, challenges make this holiday so much more meaningful and poignant. Thank you for sharing your faith in the midst of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful way to put your thoughts into words. I'm with Kathy in that you've got sooo many people sending prayers your way! You have the support of the whole stake behind you! -Annie Brower

    ReplyDelete
  6. You words are so inspiring! What a sad situation and yet I feel so much hope for you and Harold. Miracles happen every day! We love you both! Kathy Gulbransen

    ReplyDelete