Friday, June 28, 2013

Just Breathe


There’s been a steady rhythm accompanying my life script these last thirty six years. It’s been the sound of Harold breathing. I imagine that all married couples come to recognize this rhythm, but we talked about it before we were married. Shortly after our engagement, his college roommates warned that Harold snored with such force that the wind draft caused his bedroom door to swing open and shut. Thankfully it wasn’t true.

Later I remember listening to him breathe, oh so peacefully, as he slept through our first argument. How could he not know or somehow sense what was warring in my mind? Finally in desperation, I woke him. “Harold, we’re having an argument and you’re losing. Defend yourself.”

The years have brought many nights of waking and listening as our family has grown and we’ve faced the normal challenges of life. Through it all Harold’s breathing has been the pulse, the rhythm, the comforting constant.

The rapid decline in Harold’s condition magnified our awareness of his breathing. When he was moved to a hospital bed out of our room, I could still hear that steady rhythm through a monitor we’d set up. It was a comfort. Yesterday the sound changed. It was loud and labored as he worked to draw in each breath. I knew his time was short.


Harold has been too weak to talk since Sunday and would rarely open his eyes, yet we knew he could hear everything we said. He would respond with a hand squeeze or a gesture until yesterday when he was too weak even for that. Our daughter Rebecca had a flight home on a ticket she had purchased the week before, little knowing how rapidly her father would decline. I desperately hoped she would make it in time.

“Keep breathing, Harold. Becca will be here in two hours.”

There was no response but I kept talking, kept holding his hand, kept listening.

“Harold, she’ll be here in 30 minutes. Kaylene is picking her up at the airport right now. Keep breathing.”

Several of our children were at work during this time, also making arrangements to get home. I was comforted that they had been able to spend time with their dad, helping to care for him day and night.

“Hi, Daddy, this is Becca. I’m home.”

By then most of the family had arrived and we had word the last were about an hour away. I now realized it was possible we would all be together.

“Harold, hold on a little longer.”

Harold did. We had two hours after the family had gathered. It was a sacred time. We shared stories and were able to express gratitude to Harold for his life’s example and work on our behalf. We expressed gratitude for the tender mercy of the Lord who had made this time possible.

Eventually we started to sing, tentatively at first but then growing in strength and harmony. Sometime during the singing, Harold's breathing relaxed, growing shallower and fainter. I placed my hand on his chest so I could feel his breaths. During the last verse of “Abide With Me,” he left.

It was a fitting benediction. This hymn invites the Savior to stay the night with us, to carry us through dark times. Our Savior’s spirit was there and he has indeed stayed and lifted us.

I woke this morning to the rhythm of breathing. Not mine and not Harold’s but a daughter’s gentle breaths, mindful that her mother might need a reminder . . . to still breathe.

11 comments:

  1. So beautiful. I love you, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...very beautiful indeed! What an example of strength, your family is! I am so glad that you were all together, and yet I can only imagine how very difficult it was. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our love and prayers are with each of you. Harold touched the lives of our family through his amazing fun, love and genuine caring. He still touches our hearts and forever will. Sharon, you are a pillar of light that blesses our world! Thank you for your amazing words of faith, strength and love through this wonderful blog of literal faith. Years ago, as my visting teacher, you arrived to my home to find this mother of six (12 years old and younger) while I lay helpless in bed not able to sit up. I cried when I saw you walk into my room with your beautiful smile. You sat down next to me on the bed, took my hand in yours and asked what was wrong. I responded through my tears, "Sharon, I can't do anything for two weeks from the surgery. I am stuck in this bed. I feel completely helpless; my family needs me." You were quiet for a few moments, then smiled and asked me, "Larina, did you hug your children today?" "Yes. I snuggled each one of them." What you expressed to me next has had a profound influence in my life everyday since. I am humble for your wise words that have strengthened me, and brought me peace through the enormous health challenges I have faced since that day. You smiled and said, "Then you did exactly what you needed to do today." I love you my dear cherished sister. From each member of our family, to each member of your family, we send our love. I know you and Harold, along with your amazing posterity, will forever be blessed... May the priceless gift of the Holy Ghost comfort and bring sweet peace into your souls at this time. Love forever and for always, Larina

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, as you so eloquently taught me years ago, today all you need to do my dear sister is breathe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing these tender times. Your faith is such an inspiration! I can't imagine how hard this is and has been for you. But I am glad that you have been able to be at his side through this hard year and until the very last breath. Harold endured faithfully to the end, and you were there for each other. After you have more time to just breathe, I hope that you will WRITE. Compile these experiences in a book for others to read, because I know it will strengthen and touch the lives of all who read. May you find comfort and peace. Thanks to you and all your kids for your examples of faith and love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. June 27 must be a very special day in heaven. Many years ago Joseph Smith was welcomed home, and now this year Harold was welcomed home. I'm sure there's much rejoicing in heaven now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, know that my thoughts and prayers are still with you. How wonderful that you were all able to be there together as your brave, strong husband slipped through the veil. Know that he will be with you as long as you need him, you might not see him but you will know he is there. Blessings to you all and lots of love and hugs. Wish we could come to the funeral but work doesn't make that possible. Know that my thoughts go with you. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon thank you for sharing this with us, You have given us the reassurance that Our Father in Heaven truly does love each of us. Our thought are prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You lift us all even at this very sacred time. Thank you for sharing and loving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your blog is wonderful. You are such and amazing person with such a great family. Thank you for sharing your personal thoughts and stories. I have truly been touched by your example. Love, Steve and Summer Jones

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sister Jones. My heart is with you, and I wish I could help-as you know I am still working on the same feelings and questions you now have. I know that our Heavenly Father loves us and sends comfort as needed when we think we cannot do anymore. Hopefully Harold and Donna are having a laugh or two. Doug Whitney

    ReplyDelete