Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Ups and Downs

Yesterday afternoon we saw Harold’s oncologist who had some encouraging news about new medical treatments for these tumors. We left the appointment a little giddy. Maybe science had something to add to our faith. It was late afternoon as we headed downtown to pick up some things at Harold’s office. Then we got a phone call from the neurosurgeon’s office. Our insurance company was delaying approval for the gamma knife surgery. Tuesday’s procedure was cancelled. I gripped the steering wheel and groaned in frustration. We were so psyched to get started. Navigating traffic, I tried to think logically. Wait a minute. We choose faith.  This will work out.

First thing this morning I called our surgeon’s office back. I learned that the neurosurgeon would be out of the office for five hours. Upon his return he planned to contact the insurance company and advocate for Harold. And then another tender mercy: The surgeon returned two hour before expected. Just then the insurance company called. They had the conversation. He made his case for Harold. We are now waiting to see if they will give approval. Guess that’s something we can all pray for now. 

We are still on schedule for Thursday’s surgery at 11:30 am.


8 comments:

  1. Mom and Dad, I'm amazed and inspired by your faith. I am trying to match my level of faith to yours and we are praying constantly that Heavenly Father will perform a miracle for us. We love Dad so much. Thank you for creating this blog! Let us know what we can do to help and support you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always new we were lucky to meet the Jones family. What a strong and wonderful family you are. Thank you for sharing on your blog. Kevin and I have you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brother and Sister Jones--you have Funks in 3 countries praying for you! I feel so lucky to have grown up with the Jones as my second family. Words are never adequate for these things, but I hope you feel our prayers and know of our love.--Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am here :) You are always in my heart and my thoughts. We have been connected, even when you didn't know it- I follow Megan and Darren on facebook. (Somebody else never accepted my friend request or answered my message. Hehe) Thanks so much for this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, thank you for sharing with your friends. We are thinking about you and Harold and are praying for you. We've put Harold's name in on the prayer role here also. Know that you are loved. Cindy and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello wonderful, faithful Jones family! You are some of my favorite people who have showed my family and me such love and support over many years; I want you to know that all that love and support is coming back to you now. Best of luck in surgery tomorrow. You're in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you probably don't really know who I am but I am Gordon's wife. Our 12 yr old son has a medulloblastoma brain tumor. I am broken hearted for your whole family. We know what this journey is about and would like to help any way we can. If you have questions about what treatment is like we can tell you about our experiences. Faith is sometimes all that gets you through. The best advice is to look for the miracles. People said to us "maybe there will be a miracle and he will be cured." But I said to them we have miracles every day. The small miracles are sometimes the best. Please let us know if we can help in any way and know that we are already praying for you all. God Bless and we love you, Ruth Jones Wife to Gordon, Son of Delwin (boy that is a mouthful) PS. Laugh every chance you get - it keeps you sane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so thankful for the love you've shown to our family over these past 30 years. You've got people here in Houston praying for you. I know you have family here, now, but just know that if you have any reason that you have to come down to Houston, you will always have a place to stay if needed.

    ReplyDelete