Saturday, October 13, 2012

Update - ICU and Regular Room

Harold moved from post-op to the neurology intensive care unit around  4 p.m. yesterday. That’s the first I saw him. He looked great. His head was wrapped in gauze, both arms had IV ports, and his chest a checkerboard of monitor wires. I 'd expected that. His eyes had their usual twinkle, his mouth could not suppress a sheepish grin and when he talked his words came out smooth and clear. I’d been praying for that. He was fine.

Harold shared that he’d gone under anesthesia pondering the risks our surgeon had outlined, so the first thing he did upon waking was to raise his right arm and then his right leg just to make sure he still could.

The night in the ICU was a constant drone of beeps, hourly evaluations, and even a midnight CT scan. Everything turned out fine, but there was little chance for sleep. Another monitor went off and I grinned to myself, contrasting our “night out” with what we had originally planned.  Friday was to be the first day of a two week adventure, starting with a reunion in Houston then a flight to the Washington D.C. area to enjoy some U.S. history sites and spectacular fall foliage. As good as that sounded, I was happy to be right there in the ICU. Harold was safe and we had renewed reasons to hope.

This morning we learned Harold was the “healthiest” patient in the ICU; well at least according to our night nurse. He'd had no complications overnight and was wanting to get up and walk. "You even ate a roast beef sandwich!" she added, apparently building her case.  "I've rarely seen that happen right after surgery." We kind of looked at each other and shrugged. It hadn't seemed a big deal. Harold sipped the required broth then asked for a sandwich. He was hungry. The comments did provide a gentle reminder of how blessed we’ve been.

Harold has now graduated from the ICU and has been moved to a regular room. The gauze bandaging around his head has been removed as well as all IV's and wires. He has taken several walks and is now sitting up in a chair watching the BYU football game. There is a good chance we may be able to head home tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. from the Griggs:
    We are praying with all our faith for Harold and your family who we love so much. Miracles most surely do happen. One of my surgeons, who has cared for me since the accident, reminded me after my 3rd surgery in the past 8 weeks, that there is absolutely no medical explaination as to how Molly and I are alive today. I was having a rough day due to extreme pain after the 2nd surgery. On that day I was also reminded that I needed to look at where I have come from since the day they took me off of life support over 4 years ago, and focus on how far I have come. We are humble to read your posts. Your family and ours are so blessed with eternal understanding, and faith in miracles through our Redeemer Jesus Christ. Thank you for all you and Harold have done in service to us through the years, we appreciate each and every act. May blessings continue to pour down from the heavens for Harold and his healing. Forever, Tom & Larina (and of course the 'entire' Grigg Gang)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear he's doing so well! Terril & I hope that game didn't put him back in the ICU. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go get 'em Brother Jones! Sending lots of grow strong vibes to you! Hope you're home and comfy!

    ReplyDelete