Friday, August 3, 2012

It's Working!

“It’s working!” is the message of a simple text hastily sent to our children as we left the cancer center today. Harold gripped my hand and we exchanged a look much more eloquent. Within moments we received the first response. “Of course it is.”

That expression of confidence and faith brought a tear. The next response, “What’s working?” brought a laugh.  This news, so personally pivotal, is after all just a moment in the myriad ups and downs of life. Give it some context.

Well, here’s what’s working: Immunotherapy! 

The PET scan clearly shows the proof. Some of the tumors are completely gone. Others are still under attack, their bright blips fading and shrinking. The immunotherapy effect is expected to continue for some time. Harold will be closely monitored. This was the first good news. After the usual physical exam our oncologist added these additional thoughts. 

“Yes, the medical treatments are working, but there is much more going on with this man,” he said pointing to Harold. 

“What do you mean,” I questioned. 

“If you could follow me around for a few days you would appreciate the difference," he said tapping Harold on the chest. “It’s not quantifiable, I can’t reproduce it and give it to other patients, but what he has is more powerful than the medication I can offer.”

He then went on to speak of positive attitude, optimism, determination, peace . . . and something more. 

We know that "something more" is the blessing of peace and healing granted by a loving Heavenly Father. We also gratefully acknowledge the continued faith and prayers of family, friends, and associates. We humbly thank you.

11 comments:

  1. Ditto- ditto. We are still checking in and we are still praying. We always knew that Harold was special :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The news is encouraging! Our family continues to include your family in our prayers. XOXO :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing. I'll be thinking of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grateful happy news. Many prayers, to all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand the medical treatments, they are complex and tedious I am sure....but the "something else" I do comprehend. You are highly favored of the Lord, and everyone rejoices with you. This is wonderful news! We continue to add our prayers to the hundred which are said in your behalf each week. Sharon, I hope you consider publishing your blog in book form someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Harold and Sharon,
    My cousin Mike shared this sight with me yesterday evening and I have really enjoyed reading it and hearing about your journey of the past few months. I am so happy to hear things are going well. Last summer I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and just had a reoccurrence two weeks ago. However, we have felt blessed by the love, prayers and support of so many people. I will continue to read your blog as part of my own healing journey. Yo and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Peace, Marypat Coughlin

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're so happy to hear this great news. Love, a positive attitude and a sense of humor can conquer many things. Onward and upward.
    Love,
    Brenda and Dale

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this forever ago but never commented... so happy to hear the good news! And the funny text anecdotes. I miss you all and Colorado.

    ReplyDelete