Monday, May 7, 2012

Still Life

When did my eyes turn into lenses, my lids into shutters? I can’t recall the moment, but it’s happened. Seems I'm constantly capturing images to tuck away in memory a look, a hug, a smile. Maybe it's the way the light falls on the garden or plays through my grand-kid's hair. Maybe it's a scene with our family laughing, or kneeling together in prayer.  Whatever the setting, it's happened. I'm a camera . . . and I'm glad.

I mentioned this to Harold. He understood. We’ve recorded some beautiful scenes lately. Mine include dinner at an Italian restaurant with three of Harold’s siblings.  I recorded laughter as they dipped their bread in oil and vinegar, and indulged in stories of childhood pranks.  The warmth of the scene contrasted with the brooding sky and fluttering leaves playing against the window behind us.

Harold’s include golfing with two of his brothers who’d traveled some distance to visit. Not regular golfers, Harold confided that a snapshot wouldn’t quite hold that memory. I recorded the tear in his eye as those brothers said their goodbye’s and headed home.
  
Then there are the scenes with our children and grandchildren. Here's the latest Grandpa moment.


2 comments:

  1. A very touching post. That video is classic.

    I don't know if you meant to do this, but I like the double meaning of the title. Made me think of life being a series of still photos, but also made me think that despite the changes recently, it's still life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sharon, for sharing your thoughts in such a beautiful manner. I can understand, to an extent, about continuing life as it comes. It is what we do and we are grateful for the blessings we receive. Again thank you.

    We have been in Wyoming over a week now. We do love it here. The spring is early here this year as it was in Colorado so it is good we came early so I can stay ahead of the yard. It did snow a little yesterday.
    As always,
    Paula and Darrel

    ReplyDelete